Monday, July 22, 2013

My New Addiction...

Oh my by the sounds of that title it seems I have a problem....

I have drank coffee for years... I have always preferred it hot and black my daughters would say I serve colored water and I know for sure my sister would say that .  I normally love to brew flavored coffees.

While visiting my daughter a few weeks back she asked if I would like an iced latte and after hesitating I said "yes please"... She then proceeded to tell me how she was making cold brew coffee and keeping it in the fridge, and that she had gotten the instructions from Pioneer Women.... Oh Ree You Rock!

The process for Ree's instructions is to have a large container put in 12 oz - 16 oz of ground coffee, then pour about a gallon of water on it. let it sit for 8 - 12 hours.  Then strain it with cheese cloth, or coffee filters through a strainer.  You then store this coffee in the fridge and it will keep up to 3 weeks.  It is concentrated so you can follow her recipe.

BUT I remembered that my mother in law has used the Toddy Brewing System for literally YEARS.  So after trying Ree's way, I ordered the Toddy System (around $40.00 and never wears out) and love it.     The coffee is 67% less acidic so if you have an irritable stomach this might be your solution.  This method is even more concentrated than Pioneer Women's method.


Here is my mixing recipe from my Toddy coffee concentrate

I fill my 24 ounce Mason Jar full of ice


Then I take my cold brew coffee (which I keep in the fridge and fill my mason jar up to the level you see below)  The stuff on the left is like liquid gold.....


Then I add water


up to here...


Then I add 1 Tablespoon of Caramel and 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla (just because that is what I have)


Then i fill it to the top with Almond Milk because it is less calories....  I know, I know I used syrup with sugar, I am trying to not use those nasty sweeteners!  


Look how pretty it looks as it mixes...... then give it a good stir.....












BUT I am an Iced Latte Snob...

I only drink it from my Mason Jar, with its cozy on, with my fancy lid and pretty straw!  (If you want one contact me!  I am still selling them for the adoption fundraiser!)

And I am off to wherever I am going for the day....... sipping on my Iced Latte I made myself!  Sorry Starbucks I think you lost a customer!!!! :-)



Go ahead and try it you just might like it!

Nancy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are treasured!